The Laborers' Apprenticeship is designed as a two-year program. A minimum of 2400 hours of on-the-job work training and 360 hours of classroom training is required over the course of two years in order to become a journeyworker. Apprentices start at 60 percent of the journeyworker's rate and progress to 70, 80, 90 and 100 percent as they fulfill specific work and training requirements. Benefits are established using the same guidelines as for journeyworkers.
Individuals interested in the Apprentice Program must obtain a Sponsorship letter from a Signatory Contractor. The Sponsorship letter, more commonly referred to as a "letter of intent to hire" must be on company letterhead and signed by an authorized person.
Additional requirements are:
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Physically able to perform the work of the trade
- Have a reading, writing, understanding and communication ability in the English language
- Minimum 10th grade education
- Possess an original birth certificate
- Possess a social security card
- Possess a valid driver's license
Sponsorship letters are accepted year round. Successful applicants will be required to join the Laborers' Union.
For additional questions contact the Training Center in Carol Stream at (630) 653-0006.